Cruising single can be a fantastic way to embark on a memorable vacation, filled with adventure, relaxation, and new connections. While cruising has traditionally been seen as a popular choice for couples or families, solo cruising has gained popularity in recent years as an exciting and fulfilling option for many travelers. It provides an opportunity for individuals to explore the world on their own terms, with the freedom to create their own itinerary, indulge in their interests, and meet new people.
In fact, a significant number of people now choose to cruise solo, seeking the unique advantages and experiences that come with traveling independently on the high seas. In this article, we will delve into why cruising single can be a fantastic vacation choice and explore how many people are embracing this trend.
Table of Contents
1) Solo Cruising: What to Look for in a Cruise
2) 5 Important Cruise Factors for Solo Travelers
3) Best Singles Cruises if your are 20 or Older
4) Best Singles Cruises if you are 30 or Older
5) Best Singles Cruises if you are 40 or Older
6) Best Singles Cruises if you are 50+
7) Best Cruises for the Single Retiree
8) Ready for a Singles Cruise?
Solo Cruising: What to Look for in a Cruise
As a solo traveler, there are several key aspects that one might look for in a cruise to make their vacation experience exceptional:
1) Social Opportunities: Many solo cruisers seek social interactions and the opportunity to meet new people. They may look for cruise companies or itineraries that offer organized social activities, group excursions, or meet-and-greet events to connect with fellow passengers and create meaningful connections while onboard.
2) Safety and Security: Safety and security are paramount for solo travelers. They may look for cruise companies that prioritize safety measures, such as well-trained crew, onboard security, and reliable emergency procedures, to ensure their peace of mind throughout the voyage.
3) Cost-Effective Options: Cruising solo can sometimes come with additional costs, such as single supplement fees for cabins designed for couples. Solo travelers may look for cruise lines that offer special pricing or promotions for single occupancy cabins, or even waive single supplement fees, to make their trip more budget-friendly.
4) Flexibility and Freedom: Solo travelers may seek cruise itineraries that offer flexibility and freedom in terms of dining options, onboard activities, and shore excursions. This allows them to personalize their experience and tailor it to their interests, without having to accommodate the preferences of travel companions. Single cabins with exclusive key card access are usually preferable, however some cruise companies have programs to match you up with other solo travellers for a shared room if preferred.
5) Comfortable Accommodations: Comfortable and well-designed accommodations are important for solo travelers and it starts with the cruise ship. They may look for cruise companies that offer solo cabins with convenient amenities, such as single beds, ample storage space, and private bathrooms, to ensure a comfortable stay onboard. Single staterooms might be at a premium due to the popularity of a traditional cruise.
6) Exciting Destinations: Exploring new destinations is often a top priority for solo travelers. They may look for cruise itineraries that visit diverse and exciting ports of call, offering unique cultural experiences, thrilling adventures, and opportunities for solo exploration. Whether cruises heading to the Galapagos Islands, or a short departure port from the US to the Bahamas, there is always an exciting itinerary or sea program available.
7) Relaxation and Self-Care: Solo travelers may also seek relaxation and self-care during their cruise vacation. You can look for cruise companies like Royal Carribean that offer spa facilities, fitness centers, wellness programs, and other amenities that promote self-care and rejuvenation.
8) Personal Development: Many solo travelers see cruising as an opportunity for personal growth and enrichment. They may look for cruise companies that offer educational programs, workshops, or enrichment activities, such as cooking classes, language lessons, or cultural lectures, to broaden their horizons and enhance their skills.
Ultimately, solo travelers may look for social opportunities, safety and security, cost-effective options, flexibility, comfortable accommodations, exciting destinations, relaxation, and personal development when choosing a cruise. Cruise companies that cater to these preferences can provide a memorable experience for solo travelers seeking adventure, relaxation, and new connections on the high seas.
5 Important Cruise Factors for Solo Travelers
- Cruise Line: Look for cruise lines that are known for being solo traveler friendly, offering activities, amenities, and accommodations that cater to singles. Some cruise companies have special programs, events, and meet-ups for solo travelers, making it easier to connect with others.
- Itinerary: Consider the itinerary of the cruise and choose one that aligns with your interests and preferences. If you’re looking to meet other singles, opting for cruises that visit popular destinations or offer unique experiences may increase your chances of meeting like-minded individuals.
- Ship Size: The size of the ship can also impact your experience as a single traveler. Smaller ships tend to foster a more intimate and social atmosphere, allowing for easier interaction with fellow passengers. On the other hand, larger ships may have more amenities and activities, but can sometimes feel crowded and make it harder to meet new people.
- Onboard Activities: Look for cruise companies that offer a variety of onboard activities that interest you. From dance classes, trivia games, and group excursions to themed parties or special interest events, having a range of activities to participate in can provide opportunities to meet other singles who share similar interests.
- Supplement Charges: Your cruise fare might not have all the information up front. Check the cruise line’s policy on the single supplement fee, which are additional charges that solo travelers may be required to pay to cover the double occupancy rates of your cabin. Some cruise lines offer reduced or waived single supplement charges, making the cruise more affordable for solo travelers. Other cruise companies offer studio cabins or cabin categories where you share with another single. Having your own stateroom might be the perfect way to go for a solo cruiser, unless you want to meet fellow passengers starting with another one of your fellow solo travellers wanting to avoid the usual single supplement fee and share.
Best Cruises for Singles in Their 20s
For young singles, cruising can sometimes seem expensive when considering the high cost of single supplements charged to solo travelers in standard cabins. However, there are ways to make cruising more affordable and enjoyable. Traveling with friends and sharing a room can help split the cost and make it more budget-friendly, while also providing a sense of confidence when heading to the ship’s bars or discos in a group.
Opting for shorter three- to five-night cruises on low-cost mainstream lines like Carnival, Norwegian Cruise Line, or Royal Caribbean can be a good choice for young adults looking for a party cruise. These cruise ships are great for travelers hoping to meet other single cruisers while enjoying all the cruise ships offer. These cruises often attract more young singles and offer onboard activities such as live bands, nightly karaoke, royal court theatre, broadway style musicals, poolside games, trivia, and deck parties that are designed for this age group once you set sail.
Another option for young singles on a budget is to consider older, smaller ships across mainstream fleets, which typically have lower cruise fares. Margaritaville at Sea is also a good choice for quick party cruise that has affordable two-night trips to the Bahamas, although finding love quickly on such a short cruise may be a challenge. You can always explore Holland America line, or Cunard line for a longer cruise.
For those in their twenties with a larger travel budget and a desire to cruise alone, looking for cruise companies with solo cabins can be a good option. However, solo cabins are limited in supply and may be priced at a premium, so booking early is recommended. Carnival Cruise Line is our top pick for this age group, offering short cruises from various U.S. departure ports with affordable prices and plenty of onboard fun designed for young singles, including live bands, karaoke, and deck parties. Additionally, Carnival ships have many cabins that can accommodate several friends, making it a great choice for those who prefer to travel as solo passengers within a group.
Best Cruises for Singles in Their 30s
For singles in their 30s, cruising can offer a unique vacation experience tailored to their specific needs. Norwegian Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival are all popular choices for this age group, whether you’re traveling solo or with a group of single friends.
For young singles, Virgin Voyages is another cruise line that caters to their preferences. With a child-free environment and rooms and activities designed for singles, Virgin Voyages offers a cheeky, nontraditional vibe that can be appealing to those in their 30s. Get a tattoo at the onboard tattoo studio to spark conversations, join an ’80s-themed workout class to make new friends, or mingle at an after-hours cabaret or communal table in one of the line’s many complimentary restaurants.
For single parents, Disney Cruise Line can be a great option. While kids enjoy the supervised programming in the expansive kids club, parents can indulge in adult pleasures like wine tastings, fine dining, and dancing, which can lead to meetups with other single parents onboard.
If you’re looking to cruise with your best friends, a warm-climate Royal Caribbean cruise can be an ideal choice for the over-30 set. Opt for one of the line’s newest and biggest ships, offering a plethora of options for food, entertainment, and hangouts to explore. From heart-racing slides and water attractions to dance clubs open until the early hours of the morning, these ships provide plenty of opportunities to meet new friends and make lasting memories.
Best Cruises for Singles in Their 40s
Singles in their 40s may be ready for a little less party and a little more romance on a singles cruise. This age group won’t be out of place among festive singles onboard Virgin Voyages or Carnival, but Celebrity Cruises is another cruise line to consider.
The line’s newer Edge-class ships have a younger, hipper ambiance than their older ships. Think martini bars, foodie fantasies and jazz clubs, all with decor that looks nothing like your parent’s cruise ships.For those who like to gamble, try the mainstream cruise lines. The large casinos offer yet another opportunity to meet other singles on board — particularly at the table games. Margaritaville at Sea is another line to consider with plenty of gambling singles onboard.
For 40-something singles looking for onboard romance, we suggest a studio cabin for seven nights on NCL’s Norwegian Escape bound for the Caribbean. There’s plenty to do on board and in port to help you meet people. Additionally, the solo cabins (which frequently sell out) provide access to the Studio Lounge for socializing.
Another great pick would be Virgin Voyages’ four-night Fire and Sunset Soiree from Miami. It includes stops at Key West and a private beach club on Bimini, plus a sea day to get to know your fellow passengers. The cost for a single “sailor,” as Virgin calls them, starts at around $900.
Best Cruises for Singles 50+
The options mentioned earlier are still viable for singles over 50, although some cruise companies cater more to this age group. However, it’s worth noting that mature-focused lines are often geared toward couples, with single travelers tending to be older.
If you’re a still-working professional, consider Oceania, Azamara, and Holland America, especially for shorter cruises. These ships are big enough to have a mix of singles and couples, but small enough to give you a good chance of actually meeting other singles on board.
Port-intensive itineraries are common with these lines, so signing up for ship tours can be a great way to connect with like-minded people onboard, as you may not spend as much time relaxing by the pool.
For singles over 50 seeking a chance to mingle with others, a Celebrity Cruises trip through the Mediterranean might be a good bet. These cruises are popular with active mid-lifers seeking to explore the world. And what could be more romantic than cruising around the Greek Islands or the Italian coast?
Best Cruises for a Single Retiree
Single retirees who have the freedom to enjoy longer and often more expensive cruises have plenty of options for meeting people. Premium cruise lines such as Holland America, Oceania, Cunard ships, Viking river cruise, and Princess Cruises are great choices to consider.
For single seniors in their 60s and older with a larger travel budget, luxury cruise lines like Seabourn, Regent Seven Seas, and Silversea cater to singles with reduced supplement charges and offer singles meet and greets, providing opportunities to connect with solo travellers.
To increase chances of meeting other singles, visiting the maitre d’ on the first day of the cruise to request being seated at the same table or group of tables with other singles for dinner in the main dining room can be a good idea. Dance classes, trivia games, and port tours are also great ways to strike up conversations with other singles. Social hostesses on luxury lines can also introduce solo travelers to each other. Some of the best solo cruises offer potential matchmaking for solo travellers.
River cruises in Europe are another option for singles in this age group, as they are inherently social due to the small size of the ships and the close proximity during walking and bus excursions. There are also specialty theme cruises available for LGBTQ+ cruisers, wine lovers, golfers, and ancestry seekers, which can make it easier for singles to connect with like-minded individuals on board. AmaWaterways, Viking river Cruises, Avalon River Cruises, Emerald Cruises, Uniworld River Cruises and Norwegian cruise line cruises are some of the lines to consider for river cruises, and they sometimes offer reduced single supplements, making solo travel more affordable. For river cruises, viking cruises is a top choice for both cruise ship and best cruise lines.
A top pick for single retirees in this age group would be an Alaska sailing on Silversea Cruises, as this luxury line includes everything in one fare, including fabulous Alaska excursions that would otherwise cost hundreds of dollars on other lines. The small size of the ships on Silversea Cruises and cruise ships makes it easy to meet fellow travelers, and the excursions provide opportunities to share experiences with other singles on board.
Ready for a Singles Cruise?
The allure of a cruise is undeniable, with its romantic ambiance of dressy dinners and moonlit ocean waves that feel straight out of a Hollywood film. While it may not be as simple as swiping right, cruising to meet other singles can be an appealing option.
Choosing the right cruise company and activities can help you narrow down your potential matches. If you’re an outdoor adventurer, opt for active tours in port to find like-minded individuals. If you want to share your love for music, wine, or blackjack with someone, consider a theme cruise like the Cunard cruise company that can help focuses on your passion.
For those who just want to dance the night away with fellow singles in their age group, there are ships that cater to various music genres, from rock ‘n’ roll to hip hop to classic waltzes.
And even if you don’t happen to meet the partner of your dreams, you lose nothing by trying. After all, you’ll still get to enjoy a fantastic cruise vacation and create unforgettable memories to give a yourself a best cruise experience.
Interested in exploring different cruise lines for solo travel? Check out our article on the Best Cruise Lines.